Like button

Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Green Smoothie Love!

“Our food should be our medicine and our medicine should be our food.” – Hippocrates

Hey Love Peeps!

I know that you have heard all the talk about green smoothies and lots of you have asked me to share my favorite recipes, tips and how to's.
Here are some questions I have been asked:
Why do you drink them?
*Green smoothies provide the nutrition, vitamins, minerals, healthy carbohydrates, fiber and low fat whole food that you need. After drinking green smoothies for a few weeks, I noticed that my cravings for junk foods were less and I actually began craving healthy food options!
*Increased Consumption of Fruits and Vegetables (Particularly Greens)
The American Cancer Society recommends that we eat 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables each day to prevent cancer and other diseases.  Drinking green smoothies helps get more of what I need in a cup of something that tastes GOOD!
*Green smoothies are high in antioxidants and phytonutrients. Not only are you giving your body the best defenses for disease, but you are ingesting a variety of natural substances that are essential for optimum health and fitness.
*Green smoothies are delicious! I have played around with ingredients, and found what makes me happy, and have fallen in love!
Here are the basics:

Ice (1 cup)
greens ( spinach, kale, mixed greens) try to rotate the greens to prevent buildup of oxilates.
1 scoop of protein powder
1 cup of almond milk ( I use unsweetened)
1 sliver of fresh ginger
1 lemon whole, ends cut off
1 cup of frozen fruit ( I buy in bulk at the grocery store)

Add milk, greens, lemon, ginger, ice, blend in a high power blender and add fruit.  If the smoothie is too thick, you can add more milk or lemon juice.  I like lemon juice, because of it's alkanizing properties, and taste.  I use a VitaMix, but, you can use any high powered blender.

Here's my latest Favorite Song! I can't wait to mix it up in a spin class soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FitBlogger Member

Fitness Blog

Blog Frog