Like button

Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Clean-ish Chicken Pot Pie

So, I went on a search today for a clean version of Chicken Pot Pie, after my 9 year old requested it for dinner. My 'family goal' this week was to make something completely new for dinner that I have never made before. So, after a family discussion, I settled on my son's request. "Mommy, it's my favorite thing EVER!" 


You know I had to make what my baby asked for!


SO, I put out a Facebook request to my friends, asking for a clean version of this yummy treat. I am not a fan of canned soups, canned vegetables or really anything over processed and over salted. Since eliminating most processed foods from my family's diet, I really find that we enjoy the taste of real food and anything too salty is not appealing. 


After perusing all my friend's suggestions, I put this delight together!


Ingredients:

1½ cups onions, chopped
3 small red potatoes, cubed (½ inch cubes)
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced into chunks
4 celery stalks washed and chopped
large pkg of baby bella mushrooms, washed and sliced
2 lbs of boneless chicken (I used alot of protein per Big Daddy's request)
1½ cups frozen peas 
1 can lowfat evaporated milk
2 tbs all purpose flour
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, I still have it in my garden, you can use dried if you don't have fresh
2 or 3 dashes of sea salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
bay leaf
oregano
paprika
2 tbs of dijon mustard
2 cloves of fresh garlic
1 cup of white wine
 Dough...I stressed about this part, it has to be good, I hate preservatives and canned biscuits or rolls. So, I settled with Phyllo dough. 
Directions
Cover chicken with water add garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaf, oregano, cook on low for 40 minutes, until the chicken is tender and falling apart. I have found that if chicken is cooked slowly, it stays tender. 

 Let the chicken cool and strain the stock for use later. I ended up using about 2 cups of stock, I froze the rest for later. 

After the  chicken is cooked and is cooling, add to another stock pot about a tbs of olive oil.  Add carrots, onions,  mushrooms, celery, potatoes. Stir in paprika, and thyme. Shred the chicken. Add to the stock pot with vegetables. Cover the chicken and veggie mixture with about 2 cups of the broth. Mix in a saucepan 1 can lowfat or fat free evaporated milk and 2 tbs of the flour. Let it thicken. Add wine and dijon mustard. Once it has thickened, pour over the chicken and veggie mixture. I added peas at the end so they wouldn't fall apart. 

Prepare a large baking dish, I have a wonderful big round oven safe dish that I love to use. Coat with Olive oil spray. Add the Chicken and veggie mixture. 
Cut phyllo dough into strips and put in a layer over pie, trim edges and press down firmly to seal.
 Lightly coat with cooking spray or egg whites.. Bake for 10 minutes at 425 covered with foil.  Then bake uncovered until golden brown and bubbly about 20 minutes more.

So, end result, fresh tasting and delish! Both children had two helpings and Big Daddy was raving.  
Ready to pop in the oven! I wish I had an after picture, but, it was demolished  by the time I got home
from the gym. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FitBlogger Member

Fitness Blog

Blog Frog